This is the blanket that I gave Paulina for her big 21st birthday. She chose this piece of fleece a few years ago. I am thinking she was a senior in high school, she thinks it was earlier, I can’t say and don’t really care anymore. We had decided not to tie this one, but make a blanket that would be a little lighter in weight. I have been reading articles and pins about how to crochet around material, especially fleece in the past few months and decided to give it a try. Results were interesting. First I found that it isn’t that easy to poke through the fleece with a regular crochet hook. In fact it is pretty much impossible, so no yarn or regular size g, h, i or j like I normally use. Next I decided to try the crochet thread and a smaller sized needle.
Now it seemed that the thread was just too small and really wouldn’t give me the look I wanted. I also was having a time getting through the material, well brainstorm, let’s run the edge of the fleece under the sewing machine without any thread in it to make holes. I was convinced this was the ticket. I put the machine on my largest stitch length and ran the fleece through. Not a good plan. The very next time I tried to sew everything was jammed. Although this wasn’t completely the fault of the fleece, it sure didn’t help matters. I couldn’t use my sewing machine again until I took off the plate under the presser foot and cleaned out all of the fuzz. I suspect that it has been building up since 1984, and this was the final straw.
Eventually I came across a wonderful light weight yarn in my stash and a larger of the small sized thread crochet hooks. It happens to have a rather pointy top and works exactly as I needed it to. I have since this incident read about crochet hooks that are specifically made to do this, but have yet to locate one where I usually shop. We are headed out of town on Saturday, and I am hoping to find one at a fabric store then. In the meantime, I have another blanket to do for Jaxon. I figured since he doesn’t read my site, it is safe to tell about it. The fleece I am using for his is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Just so Jessica doesn’t try to steel it from him. HA!
So, as you can see I only crocheted two sides of the fleece and put a binding on the other two sides. I maybe could have gotten by with a binding that wasn’t quite as wide, but I think it works ok on this blanket. The reason I did two of each was that the fleece has so much give on two of the sides that the crochet work looked funny to me, so I put the binding on that side. It was fairly easy to do that, and I love how the machine works since I have cleaned it, changed the needle to a jersey knit needle and put in a good quality thread. I cannot recommend those three steps nearly enough. It saved me from purchasing a new machine and from spending big bucks on a professional cleaner, though it probably will be a good idea to do that sometime in the near future.
More information on Paulina’s blanket and her birthday can be found on my lucindalines site.